It has been an extremely warm week so far here in California – in our pre-child era, we absolutely would have snuck out after dinner to line up for frozen yogurt at our favourite shop (and I’m serious when I say line up – the line would extend down the sidewalk). But nowadays, with 7:30pm bedtimes, that habit is a distant memory.
I wanted to have something cold and refreshing available for dessert, so decided to make a coconut milk kheer (rice pudding) in the afternoon and then left it in the refrigerator to cool for a post dinner treat.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup basmati
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 tbsp raisins
- 1 cup water
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp sugar (or more to taste, although I find that the raisins give it enough sweetness)
- Warm the coconut oil in a small pan – add the basmati rice and stir to coat.
- Add the cinnamon stick, raisins and water and bring the contents to boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to minimum, cover and simmer for 11 minutes.
- Once the rice has cooked, add the coconut milk and sugar. Bring to boil and simmer – you will need to keep an eye on things to make sure the pudding doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Serve warm or chill in the refrigerator.