I was looking for a nutritious dessert to pack for a whale watching excursion and decided to make an avocado chocolate mousse. Not only is this recipe gluten-free, it can also be vegan if you opt for a sweetener other than honey.
The secret to the recipe is to have perfectly ripe avocados – that point where they have just turned soft and are bright green in colour. A slightly underripe avocado will not give you the texture you need to make this creamy delight.
- 4 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder (I used Frontier Organic Fair Trade Cocoa Powder)
- 2 tbsp honey – I used a local honey
- 4 tbsp agave nectar (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp strong brewed coffee (I opted to dissolve 2 tsp of Dandy Blend in the almond milk)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup melted semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- sliced almonds and/or shredded coconut and/or any other toppings you would enjoy
- Mix the honey, agave nectar, vanilla, coffee and almond milk in a glass measuring cup.
- Peel and seed avocados and place them in the food processor. Pulse 4 to 6 times to break down the avocado.
- Add in the cocoa powder and pulse a few additional times.
- Add the liquid mixture to the food processor – pulse a few times and add in the melted chocolate chips if using.
- Run the food processor on high until a creamy, mixture is formed – make sure there are no hidden avocado lumps and scrape down the mixture if necessary along the way. Taste the mousse at this point – you may need to add more agave nectar or honey to taste.
- Place mousse in serving dishes and sprinkle with your toppings of choice – refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
I packed our picnic mousse into small canning jars, topped them with sliced almonds and shredded coconut. As much as I was looking forward to having the mousse on the boat, seasickness got the better of me, so I’m having this yummy delight now as I type this blog post – better late than never :).
I’m always leery of eating when going whale watching but the mousse looks amazing!