Remember my quesadillas from an earlier post? In typical form, I can never make just the right amount of any food and I always have leftovers – in this case, I had sweet potatoes left over, and decided to make an easy dinner out of them.
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 3/4 cup leftover sweet potato filling (or you could always cook up some cubed sweet potatoes)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp prepared brown mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely shredded fennel
- 8 to 10 kalamata olives
- arugula (or your favourite salad green)
- Cook the quinoa to your liking – I generally double the water, bring it to a boil, add the quinoa and then leave it covered to simmer for about 12 minutes.
- Once the quinoa is ready, add the sweet potatoes, garlic, brown mustard and olive oil, and mixed it all together until everything is warmed through.
- Right before serving, I add in the fennel and olives – that way there is still a bit of a crunch to it all. Serve it on a bed of arugula.
It was a random experiment to add fennel and kalamata olives, but I considered it a success – the saltiness from the olives added just the right touch. And because I was using leftovers, tonight’s dinner only required me to use a single pan (for the quinoa), so cleanup was a cinch!