The weather seems to be teasing us here, with ups and downs of extremely warm days, followed by cooler days. Today was one of those warm days where the thought of cooking up a hot meal was just not appealing at all. I decided to whip up my version of egg salad to have along with the fresh romaine lettuce I had picked up at the market in the morning.
- 3 to 4 medium russet potatoes, cubed and steamed
- 1/2 a block of firm or extra firm tofu (if you only have soft tofu at home, leave it in a cheesecloth for a bit to drain out the excess liquid)
- 1 small red onion
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 2 small red radishes, shredded
- 1 to 2 tsp prepared brown mustard
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- pinch of cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp Veganaise (if you’d rather avoid this type of product, pureeing soft tofu would work, but you would have to add a lot of additional seasonings)
- a generous amount of your favourite fresh herbs (I used dill, cilantro, green garlic and mint)
- Steam the potatoes in a double boiler (I prefer this method because the potatoes stay drier)
- Once the potatoes are cool enough, mash them until smooth in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mash together.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes
- Wash and dry the romaine lettuce hearts – scoop in the potato mixture, and enjoy!